Monday 31 March 2008

KEEP YOUNG AND BEAUTIFUL...IF ONLY..



I so remember the words to that song "Keep young and beautiful",it was also a signature tune for a keep fit regime,and if I recollect correctly, it was run by a lady called Eileen Fowler.I remember only too well as my mother did these exercises regularly,with quotes of and "Eileen says if you do this"...However I digress, but bear with me, there is a connection.
I have for many years worked in a Sports Centre,quite a prestigious one,at the University of Birmingham, but have never ,ever, joined in the madness of excercise classes and the keep fit trend....but what do I do?...Newly retired I decide(well in fact, I decided before the said retirement date)to go to an evening Monday exercise class,mainly because Claire the instructor is lovely, and over the years on reception, I have got to know the members of that class,but the real reason for selecting this class,it's the easiest ,well that's what I'd always been led to believe, and it reads as such in the brochure.With this information I was discussing the forthcoming activity with Julie ,my immediate neighbour,and yes you've guessed it, she wanted to come too,another newbie to the world of lunges and sit ups ,lambs to the slaughter or what???
We duly went to our class this evening ,and an even brighter idea of mine,to walk there and back,2 miles each way...It was nice to see everyone again,but Claire was away this evening,in Germany, and we had a different instructor,the lovely Esther,who had us lunging,marching,jogging,stepping,stretching,and a further punishment is the huge mirror all across the one side of the dance studio,you get to watch your excess wobble ..in time to the music of course...I have muscles I never knew existed,and Julie bless her,don't think she knew what hit her,but being British we kept going ,and kept up with everyone...we all but limped out of the centre after saying our goodbyes,but guess what we're back next week,and we enjoyed it.No we're not sadists just very grateful we survived.




Jenny

No comments: